insTuner features both chromatic tuning and tone generation for pitch matching. Both sides of the app are available in all Calibrations, Temperaments, and Transpositions. The user is accompanied by a visual color to register as sharp or flat. In addition, there are different inputs that users can access, whether it is the smart phone or a computer. Users can also select 1 of 6 different tuning mediums to utilize.
- Tunes both acoustic and electric instruments
- Features 4 different tuning mechanisms
- Visual stimulus with tone wheel
- Select any number of 8 octaves to tune to
This is an app that I have personally used every day in my middle school band classroom. The students love the colorful background and because of that, love tuning just a little bit more than death. It is easily hookup-able to a projector and speaker system. The quick loading time allows me to pull it up when in a time crunch. It works well every time. I frequently use the tone generator for my Timpanists tuning as well as my student's pitch recognition skills.
insTuner Screen Shots:
- Utilizes different transpositions, temperaments, and notations (aka all encompassing)
- Capable of utilizing four different tuning avenues
- Visually stimulating
- Tone generator is 100% accurate and easy to use across 8 octaves
- Capable of being used on string instruments, winds, and acoustics
- Able to load quickly in a pinch
- Colorful backgrounds and visual stimulus makes it ideal for youth interaction
- 4 out of 8 of the octaves available are inaudible to the human ear (point here?)
- Price of app is higher than I would like to see, however cheaper than a tuner otherwise
Final Thoughts & Verdict:
The app is a must have for any instrumentalists. As a professional musician who takes gigs I use this app on a weekly basis for both myself and my classroom at the middle school level. Students love being able to SEE their tuning at the beginning of the period each day and the app makes available the opportunity to do fun games during "tuning challenges". I highly recommend this be the app you use as a tuner.